Notes from the CA-adventure / Last week in review / Germany will win / Back online
Engaging in philosophy in salutary, even when no positive results emerge. ... The color is brighter, that is, reality appears more clearly as such. Kurt Gödel
The car was strange, or maybe traditionally American. It was pleasant and easy to to drive on freeways, surprisingly agile in parking lots (or then lots were SUV-sized), did not guzzle too much gas (9.5 l/100km on average), the cruise control was accurate. But outside freeways the suspension was just bad. It lost contact with the street at smallest humps/holes/whatever. In San Diego I was quite sure that the right back tire was flat, for the car oversteered so badly. It was not, I stopped and checked.
I took the route-1 (the Pacific coast highway) down from Palo Alto via Monterey, Big Sur, to Santa Barbara and stayed there overnight. It took me 13 hours to Santa Barbara with lunch in Monterey, with a short detour thought a red wook park, a photo session with some elephant seals (from distance), numerous stops at vista points, and driving through innumerable small towns and villages. I also got lost with regular intervals, but not too far from the route-1.
The next day, I continued towards San Diego at 7pm. The views were not that stunning anymore, but driving on route-1 though LA is an experience. I took a too quick look at the map and started. After driving for an hour, I was quite sure I have made it at least 2/3 of the city. No way, I was just 1/4 through LA. It is such a large area of small cities/towns/areas abutting each other. In the end, with a quick input/output-stop in some Burger King in Long Beach, it took 3.5 hours to cross LA. Those hours were really worth it. A highly recommended route, but requires some tenacity, some stubborn mania of just driving, driving and trying to find some decent (rock) music from the radio. No way one can drive hours listening to country.
Some radio DJ's could make use of a thesaurus: "The band worked some old songs. They did some violin too", one of them told over the radio. You know, "do" and "work" apply to all activities e.g. "Are you still working on the fish?" is a common question in restaurants all over USA.
There is a great bridge over the San Diego bay, a very tall one. The last sign on the ramp to the bridge: "Suicide consulting service 24/7. Call ...".
In San Diego, I stayed in Grand Hyatt. A grand hotel indeed, for I got a room from the 35th floor with one wall made of class. In the evening, I sometimes had a lonely picnic on the floor looking at the harbour. A bit scary.
Stories in newspapers and in TV, while I was in San Diego: "The big earthquake is imminent", "Judge suspended for using a sex apparatus in the court - facing up to 10 years in a Kansas Prison", "Government building a security fence on the Mexican border - local farmers setting up ladders for their illegal immigrants to scale the fence".
The dress code of the course (on competitive intelligence) I attended in San Diego: smart casual. The lecture was wearing flipflops (toe-sandals). How smart is that?
I saw pelicans. They are much large that I though and fly like swans. I did not hear them singing, though.
The elephant seals were funny: just basking in the sun, trying to throw some sand over their enormous bodies with their flippers. Not that successful an attempt. Fighting for short periods. The fighting was merely posturing, raising their heads and emitting snoring-type loud noise. I saw some of them in the sea, maybe it was time for some fish.
More later. Now, back to Stalingrad.
I think I should move from systems architecting to journalism (e.g. becoming a war correspondent). Or maybe I could combine work and fun and become a travel author. Who knows? Anyway, until I will be invalidated by a hearth disease, I will keep on rolling. After that, I will just rock in my chair.
Oh, I got carried away. Last week was a bit lazy. I had the 10+-hour jet lag, which lowered my energy levels a bit. Especially after 7pm, when the invisible baseball bat hit the back of my head and I got fuzzy. So, nothing much happened, except that, well, I do not remember. We had a picnic, actually two. I tried to buy a new bicycle, with no success. On Friday, I met with Olli, Mikeal, Ville, Jukka. We watched Germany against Argentina, then went for some mussels in a bar called Belge (the food was decent, but I have had enough of pretentious, non authentic restaurants). On Saturday, we took a walk with (I and S), then visited the sale at the Academic bookstore (I bought Moscow 1941 — a city and its people at war by Rodric Brainwaite since I have not read any longer account of the battle of Moscow so far), then called in at Petri's for a evening on laughter and football. Others present were Petri, Mila, Lassi and Tappi. A great night.
That's quite enough of the last week. I try and try, but I do not remember. I only remember things from abroad, days when I do not have to spend 8-10 hours in the countryside.
Anyway, let me repeat. Germany will win. First they will smash Italy and then France. Even mighty Zidane cannot do anything surprising enough to disturb the German plans!
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".
Notes from the CA-adventure
Just random notes, memories, observations. A longer, maybe even a coherent story may appear here later.The car was strange, or maybe traditionally American. It was pleasant and easy to to drive on freeways, surprisingly agile in parking lots (or then lots were SUV-sized), did not guzzle too much gas (9.5 l/100km on average), the cruise control was accurate. But outside freeways the suspension was just bad. It lost contact with the street at smallest humps/holes/whatever. In San Diego I was quite sure that the right back tire was flat, for the car oversteered so badly. It was not, I stopped and checked.
I took the route-1 (the Pacific coast highway) down from Palo Alto via Monterey, Big Sur, to Santa Barbara and stayed there overnight. It took me 13 hours to Santa Barbara with lunch in Monterey, with a short detour thought a red wook park, a photo session with some elephant seals (from distance), numerous stops at vista points, and driving through innumerable small towns and villages. I also got lost with regular intervals, but not too far from the route-1.
The next day, I continued towards San Diego at 7pm. The views were not that stunning anymore, but driving on route-1 though LA is an experience. I took a too quick look at the map and started. After driving for an hour, I was quite sure I have made it at least 2/3 of the city. No way, I was just 1/4 through LA. It is such a large area of small cities/towns/areas abutting each other. In the end, with a quick input/output-stop in some Burger King in Long Beach, it took 3.5 hours to cross LA. Those hours were really worth it. A highly recommended route, but requires some tenacity, some stubborn mania of just driving, driving and trying to find some decent (rock) music from the radio. No way one can drive hours listening to country.
Some radio DJ's could make use of a thesaurus: "The band worked some old songs. They did some violin too", one of them told over the radio. You know, "do" and "work" apply to all activities e.g. "Are you still working on the fish?" is a common question in restaurants all over USA.
There is a great bridge over the San Diego bay, a very tall one. The last sign on the ramp to the bridge: "Suicide consulting service 24/7. Call ...".
In San Diego, I stayed in Grand Hyatt. A grand hotel indeed, for I got a room from the 35th floor with one wall made of class. In the evening, I sometimes had a lonely picnic on the floor looking at the harbour. A bit scary.
Stories in newspapers and in TV, while I was in San Diego: "The big earthquake is imminent", "Judge suspended for using a sex apparatus in the court - facing up to 10 years in a Kansas Prison", "Government building a security fence on the Mexican border - local farmers setting up ladders for their illegal immigrants to scale the fence".
The dress code of the course (on competitive intelligence) I attended in San Diego: smart casual. The lecture was wearing flipflops (toe-sandals). How smart is that?
I saw pelicans. They are much large that I though and fly like swans. I did not hear them singing, though.
The elephant seals were funny: just basking in the sun, trying to throw some sand over their enormous bodies with their flippers. Not that successful an attempt. Fighting for short periods. The fighting was merely posturing, raising their heads and emitting snoring-type loud noise. I saw some of them in the sea, maybe it was time for some fish.
More later. Now, back to Stalingrad.
Last week in review
Somehow I feel I have been here long enough and I should get away, to visit some other place, just anywhere abroad. It has been more than a week since I arrived in Helsinki. And the flight was late, and I was miserable. However, I have no plans, and no financial resources, to flee just now. So, I carry on: commute to my cubicle (yes, they took my room away) in the countryside, walk back to civilization or take the bus, come home, read books, spend time with S (excellent, the reason for existence), have a walk, and now even write something. Not that bad, especially since I can meet my friends every now and then. I can also walk up the hill alone and play some pinball, or with S and have a picnic. Life is not bad, just a bit sedentary.I think I should move from systems architecting to journalism (e.g. becoming a war correspondent). Or maybe I could combine work and fun and become a travel author. Who knows? Anyway, until I will be invalidated by a hearth disease, I will keep on rolling. After that, I will just rock in my chair.
Oh, I got carried away. Last week was a bit lazy. I had the 10+-hour jet lag, which lowered my energy levels a bit. Especially after 7pm, when the invisible baseball bat hit the back of my head and I got fuzzy. So, nothing much happened, except that, well, I do not remember. We had a picnic, actually two. I tried to buy a new bicycle, with no success. On Friday, I met with Olli, Mikeal, Ville, Jukka. We watched Germany against Argentina, then went for some mussels in a bar called Belge (the food was decent, but I have had enough of pretentious, non authentic restaurants). On Saturday, we took a walk with (I and S), then visited the sale at the Academic bookstore (I bought Moscow 1941 — a city and its people at war by Rodric Brainwaite since I have not read any longer account of the battle of Moscow so far), then called in at Petri's for a evening on laughter and football. Others present were Petri, Mila, Lassi and Tappi. A great night.
That's quite enough of the last week. I try and try, but I do not remember. I only remember things from abroad, days when I do not have to spend 8-10 hours in the countryside.
Germany will win
I knew it all along. Germany is going to win the 2006 World Cup. Having more patience and good enough skills helps a lot. Carrying on even when losing, sticking to plans with some clever adjustments. Just the way it is with life in general: trying to please others will end poorly.Anyway, let me repeat. Germany will win. First they will smash Italy and then France. Even mighty Zidane cannot do anything surprising enough to disturb the German plans!
Back online
Now that I been back in Helsinki, Finland, for more than a week, I again have something to say and energy to write it down. Let me start with some interesting links I found today:- Fourth mysterious phone message appeared. A fascinating story. Please, crack the code and tell us what is going to happen.
- Gas falling onto dark - pictures of a galaxy coming into existence some 10 billion years ago.
- Story about stories in Brookly, NYC
- How to check which seat you are going to get in an airliner. Another way, if you know the seat, is to visit Seatguru.
- Future of pinball — an important isssue
- Attacking Iran would not be straigtforward, for even the military is against it, kind of.
- Attacking Somalia created a mess. A good thing to remember.
- And as always, check what Juan Cole has to say about the mess in the Middle East, for example on the war crimes committed by the Israeli government. The only consolation is that the US tax payers will pay for the infrastructure Israel destroys. Fair enough.
June
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs March to June 2006".
Kommentit