Experiment is over / Cycling / Playing pinball / Camping on an island / Other notes

A man who is well looked-afer becomes fatter. They are just like cattle. That is well-known. Mma Ramotswe in Tears of Giraffe

Experiment is over

I have cancelled the experiment for several reasons. First, I cannot stop writing my blog (and when I try, my memories fails and I do now know what I did the other day, or yesterday). Second, I think my cover letters have not been state-of-the-art and they never will be, but I try to obey the rules and expectations by experimenting with new formats. Third, if an employer decides that its/his shareholders interest can only be served by docile, non-liberal employees, I do not want to have anything to with them. If all employers are such, I will start my own company. Fourth, some recent developments have been very promising.
I want, however, note that I have been working with those who believe in gods, or God, and those who do not and even those who are agnostic (I am ignostic myself). I have not noticed any difference in their ability to work, nor their creativity. I have worked with radical leftists, ultra right-wing libertarists, and everyone in between. Again, I have not noticed any differences. Anyone's political or religious beliefs have nothing to do with their ability to work in a modern workplace. To think otherwise is to work against the goals of the company/corporation.
I have always considered myself as a professional. I choose the things I do using a certain liberal, secular, and pacifict ethical framework. When I have chosen to do something, I try to do it to my best ability. So far this attitude has served me well.

Cycling

Cycling is as fun as it has always been. Last week, I cycled about 1 to 1.5 hours a day. This week I have cycled 3 hours on Monday and 2 hours on Tuesday. I intend to cycle another 2 to 3 hours today.
I bought a new pump for pressurizing Brompton-tyres to 6.5 bar. Nice piece of equipment, a bit more expensive than Biltema's pumps, but maybe a bit more durable. Or just fancier.

Playing pinball

I broke my record, and became a grand champion, in Revenge from Mars today. The score was only 173 million, but that was enough, for the pinball machines in the local amusement park are in poor condition. In Revenge from Mars, the ball invariably drained from the "hole in which ball drops and shoots back", directly. Too bad.

Camping on an island

For the last two weekends, we have been camping on the Rövaren-island in Espoo. It is a small island, 9.1 hectares, with very basic facilities. The nature is, well, awesome. Ice-sculpted smooth rock-surfaces, pines, blueberries, etc. An excellent place for staying overnight, reading books while every also cooking some food and just admiring the wonder of Finnish summer. Life is at its best camping there, for two days, not longer. See a map.

Other notes

Last week: Satu & Matti moved in their new home in the far north, by the outer ring road. I took my Brompton and the train and rode there, to help them and to have nice time with Lassi, Petri, Mila, Kikka. It is a nice place, actually, and they will have almost too much space, if that is possible in Finland. On the way back, I visited Mika & Ruby in their much smaller home in Veräjämäki, full of Amazonian things and their baby's things and sounds.
Brompton is very practical. So far, I have ridden it a lot, at most 1.5 hours a time, and it feels just fine, surprisingly comfortable and stable even at higher speeds. I have also made some use folding: I left it in the cloak room of the university library, took it with me on a train and a subway, with me in a bar, and in a shop in the shopping cart. Very, very practical.

The experiment

I have decided to close/hide my blog for a while. It is a part of an experiment. The questions is: is blogging preventing me from getting anywhere in my career/getting into job-interviews? I am sure time will tell, when I now hide my blog and adopt a nice, apolitical web presence.
I will keep quiet until end of the year, or until I find out the answer.



Weblog Commenting and Trackback by
HaloScan.com Creative Commons
License

blog search directory

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs July to September 2006".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki