Helsinki GP / Cycling

All revved up and nowhere to go. Ramones

Helsinki GP

On Wednesday evening, I went to see a track and field event for the first time in my life. I also visited the Olympic stadium of Helsinki for the first time. Both firsts were pleasant and worth repeating as seconds.
The stadium is old, for 1940s I assume, but in decent shape and rather cute. It is not covered, has wooden benches and is small, only for some 50000 spectators. On Wednesday, we were some 10000 and we did have good time. There were some decent performance in women's triple jump, women's javelin and men's long jump. The Finns were brave, but not good enough as the foreigners.
I found observing the careful preparation and the deep concentration of the athletes very interesting. It is something one cannot usually see in the TV. Also the work of the field hands (officials) is worth some time — their work is important, but taken for granted. The athletes do appreciate it, though, a lot.
One strange official was sitting on a chair close to the long jump venue. He had a nice suit, polished shoes and bald head. He kept on telling the athletes how to jump and touching their bottoms. What a strange person! The athletes were amused, but perplexed.
The event was sponsored by GE money. The commentators were repeating "GE money" ad nauseam. The sales director and the marketing director of the local GE money had the privilege of presenting the medals or whatever. I just wonder why the directors of the sponsor have to show off like that. It would be nicer to have some retired Finnish athletes presenting the medals. Not these fat, poorly dressed directors. So cheap!

Cycling

So Landis got caught for usign some illegal (or unsportsmanlike) substances. He will lose his victory of Le Tour. Quite a disappointment it must be.
I am amateur and diletant. I can use any substance I please and nobody can take away my victories over myself. This week, by Friday noon, I have cycled 9 hours 10 minutes, which is quite much for a large and unfit bear like me. And I will continue, my goal is to cycle 11 hours this week. Next week, if it does not rain too much, my raise the goal to 13 hours.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs July to September 2006".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki