Interesting times coming / Coaching
iI think we have had a bad habit, as a species, of thinking of ourselves in our separate little pods. Now we have to think in terms of a global outlook. Maya Lin
According to Long emergency, the natural gas supply almost failed to meet the demand in the USA in the winter of 2003. The authorities had a clever plan: first shutting down some industries (plastics etc), then shutting down power plants, and only them cutting off heating of homes. The idea was that citizen would be happier while sitting in the warm darkness than in the illuminated cold.
Accordign to the Guardian, similar problems of supply may come in the UK soon: British Gas owner says winter fuel supplies are uncertain". I wonder which kind of emergency plan the UK authorities have?
Not that we would be that well of in Finland. We are running parts of our district heating with Russian natural gas. The gas many stop flowing. Lately, I have been wondering, whether a nuclear power plant in Helsinki would make a lot of sense. If it is safe etc enough to run such a plant in the countryside, it should be so in Helsinki. We could then use the heat for warming our houses instead of the ocean. I also tend to think, that Finland should develop full nuclear fuel cycle from mining to handling of the waste — we do have enough uranium in our bedrock anyway.
I assume teachers in the elementary school know the answers. I do not. When confronted with too wide a difference, I cannot but fail.
A mixture of ignorance and arrogance is a toxic brew in all fields of human endeavour.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs July to September 2006".
Interesting times coming
The US housing market bubble is bursting. It is blowing forcefully enough to drive away the early hurricanes. It will be interesting to see, whether the floor really falls off from the market. If it does, Americans have to stop spending, for they cannot any more re-mortgage their houses. This could have some nasty consequences: maybe a refreshing period of recessions is just around the McMansion.According to Long emergency, the natural gas supply almost failed to meet the demand in the USA in the winter of 2003. The authorities had a clever plan: first shutting down some industries (plastics etc), then shutting down power plants, and only them cutting off heating of homes. The idea was that citizen would be happier while sitting in the warm darkness than in the illuminated cold.
Accordign to the Guardian, similar problems of supply may come in the UK soon: British Gas owner says winter fuel supplies are uncertain". I wonder which kind of emergency plan the UK authorities have?
Not that we would be that well of in Finland. We are running parts of our district heating with Russian natural gas. The gas many stop flowing. Lately, I have been wondering, whether a nuclear power plant in Helsinki would make a lot of sense. If it is safe etc enough to run such a plant in the countryside, it should be so in Helsinki. We could then use the heat for warming our houses instead of the ocean. I also tend to think, that Finland should develop full nuclear fuel cycle from mining to handling of the waste — we do have enough uranium in our bedrock anyway.
Coaching
Is it possible to coach someone, who refuses to try new things, clings to old ways even though they have not helped in the past? Is it not a sign of madness to insist on non-working ways of working? How large a difference can there be between the skills and knowledge of the coach and those of the coached? Can one teach someone, who have no idea, no interest, just contempt?I assume teachers in the elementary school know the answers. I do not. When confronted with too wide a difference, I cannot but fail.
A mixture of ignorance and arrogance is a toxic brew in all fields of human endeavour.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs July to September 2006".
Kommentit