Creativity methods / What am I missing from my time at MIT? / Spam and more spam /…

Every second is of infinite value. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Creativity methods

A good list of creativity methods at Mycoted.com. Very much recommended!

What am I missing from my time at MIT?

I miss the time I spent in Boston. Memories come at surprising moments, positive, pleasant memories. I remember long discussions on engineering and business, hurried coffee breaks in Mass 77, long nights spend reading, writing, studying. I remember heated discussions when our workload exceeded our limits and how we overcame the limits. I remember exhaustion and desperation when writing essay in the middle of the night or when trying to solve problem sets with tired brains. I remember the joy of achievement, when everything was done and over with. I remember long walks by the river, Saturday lunched with Kumar at Pho Pasteur, late night shopping trips to Cambridge. And there are many other things I remember and miss so much.
So, studying in MIT was memorable. I was happy then (although S claims that I was very desperate more or most of the time - my memory may have selection bias). Is there some way for me to recreate the MIT-state of mind here in Finland? I assume there is. The essentials are, I assume, immersing myself in work/studying/politics, meeting friends, surrounding myself with bright people, not worrying about money (there is absolutely no reason to worry about it), eating out, reading a lot. In other words, not succumbing to the nine-to-five existence, but living to the fullest, really following carpe diem.
The goal is to live leaving nothing for regret, sparing no effort. Just writing this made me happy!

Spam and more spam

Statistics of email to my helsinki.fi-address since fall 2004. Note the steep increase since September 2006 (the red line). Of the 250 pieces of spam I receive daily, about 10 make it to my mail reader. The filters are quite good at the moment. I have three filter in series: at iki.fi, at helsinki.fi and at the reader. Works fine.


 

---- Summary since September 6th, 2004 (845 days)----

Total number of emails: 113222
  per day:               133
Total number of SPAM:   77977
  per day:               92
Spam percentage:        68.8700

Total non-spam emails:  35245
 Of which
  personal email:     22909
    per day:           27
  list email:         12336
    per day:           14

Total SPAM in MB:       872.568 
    per day:             1.032
Total EMAIL  in MB:       6623.8 
    per day:             7.838


Visit to my site in 2006



Another war to start the 2007?

Larisa Alexandrovna speculates whether Mr. Bush and other criminals have already decided to attack Iran in a week or so. She thinks they have decided and will attack. The only good thing that can come out of yet another war is dramatic rise in price of oil. That should, I hope, wake up the Western governments to the peak oil. Let's see. I do hope Ms. Alexandrovna is not right.
Read also what Riverbend has to say about her country.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs December 2006".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki