Ordinary days? / Strange weather
He wrapped himself in quotations - as a beggar would enfold himself in the purple of Emperors. Rudyard Kipling
Today: walking to the office, working in a very silent office all alone, watching "Das Leben der Anderen" with S (one of the best films I have even seen: phenomenal acting, faultless script, invisible directing, beautiful yet deeply touching), buying some CDs from the annual sales.
I read somewhere that Egypt imports 40% of its food. It cannot grow more due to lack of water. How do they plan to survive once oil gets more expensive, water shortages become frequent in other countries as well (e.g. in USA), irrigation makes fields salty? The Chinese predict that temperature in northern China will rise by at least 3C in 50 years or so. This will make their already bad water shortage even worse. How do they plan to feed their citizens? How do we here in Finland? Or, if we can feed ourselves, how do we keep warm? I do not know, but I know that the Finnish politicians are not even asking these questions. Let's make them ask!
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs December 2006".
Ordinary days?
Ordinary days threaten me. I do not like them. To avoid ordinary days, we have decided to go to the movies at least once a week, not to watch TV (instead read books). Maybe I can avoid too many ordinary days, so that I will not miss my time in MIT too much.Today: walking to the office, working in a very silent office all alone, watching "Das Leben der Anderen" with S (one of the best films I have even seen: phenomenal acting, faultless script, invisible directing, beautiful yet deeply touching), buying some CDs from the annual sales.
Strange weather
The weather is strange: still no snow, today 6 degree centigrade, clear skies. I do not actually mind this myself, but I assume this does not bode well. We (the human race) must start taking the limits of growth more seriously.I read somewhere that Egypt imports 40% of its food. It cannot grow more due to lack of water. How do they plan to survive once oil gets more expensive, water shortages become frequent in other countries as well (e.g. in USA), irrigation makes fields salty? The Chinese predict that temperature in northern China will rise by at least 3C in 50 years or so. This will make their already bad water shortage even worse. How do they plan to feed their citizens? How do we here in Finland? Or, if we can feed ourselves, how do we keep warm? I do not know, but I know that the Finnish politicians are not even asking these questions. Let's make them ask!
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs December 2006".
Kommentit