Gay bands identified / Book reviews / Bush and energy / FSB killed Litvinenko? / New…
Politics ought to be the part-time profession of every citizen who would protect the rights and privileges of free people and who would preserve what is good and fruitful in our national heritage. Dwight Eisenhower
Back in the 1980s, they used to listen to records backwards and were sure that Satan was talking to to them and to their children. Must be funny to live in such a fantasy world.
I like to write reviews as a painter paints with watercolors: fast, with no possibilities for corrections. Or like a piano player plays prima vista, with no preparation, straight from the material: he directly from the score, me directly from memory with no drafting.
Of course, for a publication, I would rewrite my reviews, or get them rewritten. However, I have no intention to get them published this year. After I have written the first hundred reviews, I will start writing reviews for newspapers and the manezine, my own literary journal. Coming soon to the .fi-domain.
It takes me 40 minutes to write a review.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs January 2007".
Gay bands identified
Some religious people have too much time at their hands. Now they have listed Gay bands. The claim is that if children listen to these bands, they will grow up gay. Such a disaster must be avoided at all costs. Better to have sad kids. Fortunately, there are some Safe bands out there.Back in the 1980s, they used to listen to records backwards and were sure that Satan was talking to to them and to their children. Must be funny to live in such a fantasy world.
Book reviews
Some new book reviews in my books page:- Lahti by Arto Salminen
- Routavuosi Juha Seppälä
- Maata ja Tuhkaa by Atiq Rahimi
- Rikki by Henry Parland
- Mansikoita marraskuussa by Pirjo Hassinen
- Elena by Joel Haahtela
- Naiset katsovat vastavaloon by Joel Haahtela
- Mitä sähkö on by Juha Seppälä
I like to write reviews as a painter paints with watercolors: fast, with no possibilities for corrections. Or like a piano player plays prima vista, with no preparation, straight from the material: he directly from the score, me directly from memory with no drafting.
Of course, for a publication, I would rewrite my reviews, or get them rewritten. However, I have no intention to get them published this year. After I have written the first hundred reviews, I will start writing reviews for newspapers and the manezine, my own literary journal. Coming soon to the .fi-domain.
It takes me 40 minutes to write a review.
Bush and energy
His new solution to energy shortages is promising. And as realistic as his real, other proposals.FSB killed Litvinenko?
Larisa Alexandrovna writes in AtLargely.com on the murder of Litvinenko. According to her, it is quite clear that the FSB killed Litvinenko. So, now we know, or are reminded once again, that the powerful do not think twice about getting their opponents killed. It seems that the Russians show more restraint than the Americans at the moment - the Americans would have used missiles or cluster bombs, the Russians used polonium. Less collateral damage, or killed civilians, with the Russian methods, this far.New song by the Stooges
A new album by the Stooges will be out soon. Meanwhile, listening to My Idea of Fun at their MySpace will have to do.List of restaurants
Eating out at least once a week is not bad habit. It is not even hard as my list of restaurants visited proves.Some links
I have been surfing the web way too much this week. Surfing is total waste of time, but some interesting new pages console my conscience:- Another interesting visualisation of the US airspace and light traffic
- Sizeasy.com let's us compare sizes of different things
- Bush and Iran — attack seems to be imminent. Fuel prices will double or triple overnight. It is strange that Bush can break the constitution and order an attack even if (against all odds) the congress would be against the attack. More speculation about the coming insanity. Juan Cole also sees Bush looking for a pretext for another war. Scary. Indeed.
- Intel has found a way to run chips cooler, which is definitely good news. Computers use too much electricity today.
Busy week
Somehow I have not been able to write any entries for a week. I have not been that busy, nor worked long hours, nor even read that many books (only 3 this week). I just have not had the energy or things to say. For my own records, some notes of the past 8 days. On Friday I spent the whole evening home, cleaning, arranging. Our annual home arrangement fever has taken over. Same things on Saturday, with a short visit to Ikea for a new carpet and some energy saving light bulbs. On Sunday, a walk in Vallila, where I used to live 17 years ago. Not that nostalgic. Later Satu's birthday party. On Monday, nothing but work. On Tuesday, a supplier paid us a nice dinner in the restaurant Lasipalatsi — best mushroom soup I have ever had. On Wednesday, Kössi and Marianne came for a dinner in Dong Bei Hu, the best Chinese restaurant in Finland. Since Tuula was dining with us, we got to know the owner, a young Chinese lady. She has been living in Finland for 2.5 years and is married to a man who works in Nokia. Surprising or not. On Thursday I saw Kössi and Marianne to Sönäinen and went to the office very late, thus staying there too late. Yesterday, on Friday, we went to Gloria for publication of a record against sexual violence. Several good bands played 3 songs each: Valkyrians, Paleface, Manzana, Maritta Kuula etc. Today, on Saturday, I again visited Ikea for some extra light bulbs. Ikea runs a free shuttle bus from the center of Helsinki. It seems that older people take the bus and have a cheap lunch at Ikea. I did so too.Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs January 2007".
Kommentit