On China / EMMA / Nice Sunday / Getting desperate

I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste. Marcel Duchamp

On China

An excellent article on China in the Guardian. It is hard to misjudge China's situation and consider it another capitalist country. It is not. Read the article, and send me the book, if you are nice.

EMMA

We (S, Satu) visited the EMMA, the Espoo Museum of Art. The premises are wonderful: an old book print, with acres of empty un-assuming floors, and more wall space than they really can cover with art.
The museum is too large for a single visit. They sell three-day passes, which would be of good value.
The most interesting exhibition a selection of movies (or video installations) by Shirin Neshat. I was especially moved and impressed by Zarin, a story of a prostitute, who cannot bear her situation any more. Mahdonkt, a movie of a woman losing her mind, is visually impressive, although I could not really understand it.
Some photos of Neshat and her work.
Somehow, my review of "Mare Nostrum" by Jaakko Hämeen-Anttila seems related to Ms. Neshat.

Nice Sunday

Sleeping late, eating from fish burgers, walking to Malmi, visiting S's relatives, eating more fish (Baltic Herring steaks, the 2nd best Finnish dish), taking bus back, reading, writing.
It seems that I will be busy enough this spring. The city of Helsinki has declared a city planning competition. Most likely, we can form a great group for the competition. It will be fun. I will tell more about it once we are working on it, properly. The first thing is to get the group together, the second is to rent some office space.

Getting desperate

The official news (e.g. Helsingin Sanomat, Financial Times) tells that a new EU study proves that we here in the North will win when climate get warmer. I have not seen the study, but the news tell that we will get the tourists from Southern Europe. Mainly because the Southern Europe will be too hot and dry for accommodating the tourists. So, they will flock North! I just wonder what kind of transportation will they use, for by 2050 we will have run out of affordable oil, not to speak of natural gas. And most likely we cannot feed even ourselves here, not to speak of any millions of tourists.
Last night I dreamt of snow. I woke up to the sound of rain, in the dark. I have never missed snow and winter this much. What have we done?

Getting older
Getting older is getting invited to birthday parties. By the year, I becomes harder to leave for a party, to face my own age and some of the things will be gone, past, and over with, forever. At the same time, meeting frieds — old friends a bit older again — becomes more and more pleasant, the value of having them around is invaluable. Not having to repeat some youthful attempts is quite nice as well.
Yesterday, Kaius celebrated his 40th birthday. Happy birthday to Kaius, once again.
Others asked me how I will celebrate mine. I do not know: please leave some ideas as a comment! What kind of party would you like to participate in on the 31st of July, 2008?

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs January 2007".

Kommentit

Kuukauden suosituimmat

Hyvästi Facebook!

Päivien lumo / Karin Pennanen

Rokotuksista

Everestin tiikeri / Tenzing & Ullman

Maailman kauhea vihreys / Benjamin Labatut