Superb Chinese restaurant / Art, philosophy, and new theories / Some links again

In order not to drink, he tried to convince himself that all evil is caused by alcohol. Lermontov

Superb Chinese restaurant

We had dinner in Dong Bei Hu, a new Chinese restaurant in Helsinki. It was rumoured to be an authentic place and it indeed is. We have not had so authentic Chinese food since leaving China, not even in New York. The place is worth several visits, at least a visit a week. Take your friends and do yourself a favour: visit Dong Bei Hu. It is much cheaper and easier than flying to China. Do not go alone: the portions are too large for one person and eating Chinese alone is more stupid than drinking alone.
We were celebrating a new task I got at work. I will lead/manege/design a very significant integration project, which deals with IT-systems, embedded systems, processes, business renewal, etc. Just the kind of task I have been training and studying for the last 5 or so years. A good enough reason to celebrate. I assume I cannot be more specific.

Art, philosophy, and new theories

A question: what are relations among symbolism, representation (or realisim), roles of artist and the art viewer in different cultures and different eras in each culture? If the relations change, how do they change, why do they change? Do they change because of technology, or some scientific advance, or changes in relative importance of religion? How do the (possible) change in the relations change the very definitions of work of art, the existence of artists in general? Is the concept of "art world" just one, and actually quite tentative, solution to these problems?
I have a theory of all this. It all became evident tonight. Now, I just have to read a couple basic treatises of the philosophy of art and some history of art. Then I can write and publish an article in some philosophical journal. It will be fun, for the philosophy of art is a field for a logician to tread.
Of course, until my article gets published, the above questions are left as exercises for the readers. The answers are far from trivial.

Some links again




Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs January 2007".

Kommentit

Kuukauden suosituimmat

Hyvästi Facebook!

Päivien lumo / Karin Pennanen

Rokotuksista

Everestin tiikeri / Tenzing & Ullman

Maailman kauhea vihreys / Benjamin Labatut