Swan lake / The first 10 years / Boxing / Reading historical novels / End of the…
Marriage is a wonderful institution...but who wants to live in an institution? Groucho Marx
I have been to ice hockey match, soccer match, track and field even, and ice speedway world championships, at least. Now it is time for boxing.
Of course, nowadays solution would be different. Either the bride would get the child aborted, or the groom would adopt the child, or they would divorce. Shame would be there, of course, but it would not be large enough to cause two families to become refugees, to flee from their friends. But this is a bit theoretical, for people do not marry that much because of houses and wealth, I assume.
In Big babies Michael Bywater discusses similar topics and notes that teen pregnancy is not something to be ashamed of anymore. Mr. Baywater seems to think it should be, so that teens would think twice or otherwise be more careful. Or get abortions.
More discussion later when I will review the book. In a week or so.
Most likely there will be even more hits because of this post.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs January 2007".
Swan lake
To celebrate our first ten years, we went to see Swan Lake by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky in the Finnish National Opera. The ballet was a co-operation with some Dutch ballet, with Finnish guest star as Odette/Odile, a trule spectaculer dancer. I have hardly even seen anything so beautiful as the ballet. It was a good and mature (?) way to celebrate.The first 10 years
10 years we have been together, S and I. Not married, not in an institution, just together, which is way better. If we are lucky, there are still decades of life together for us to share. Maybe 4, or with extreme luck maybe even 5. Being together is better and happier by the day, by the year, it seems even by the decade.Boxing
The camera makes everyone a tourist in other people's reality, and eventually in one's own. Susan SontagBoxing
I have never been to a boxing match. Today, Amin Asikainen, the reigning European champion, will have a fight in the local sports arena. There will be 4 other fights as well. Now it is the time to go and see what such a boxing night is all about. If it fun and Asikainen wins, maybe we will at some point have another European title fight in Helsinki, and I will be watching it as well.I have been to ice hockey match, soccer match, track and field even, and ice speedway world championships, at least. Now it is time for boxing.
Reading historical novels
I have been reading Pakolaiset (Refugees) by Linnankoski today (while walking and while having lunch, not during working hours). In the story, an old man marries a young woman in order to get hold of bride's kin's house and property. The old man has never had his own children and is now too old to have them. The bride gets pregnant. Shame over the whole family, over both families. The only solution they can find is too flee to the other side of Finland, where shame will not reach them.Of course, nowadays solution would be different. Either the bride would get the child aborted, or the groom would adopt the child, or they would divorce. Shame would be there, of course, but it would not be large enough to cause two families to become refugees, to flee from their friends. But this is a bit theoretical, for people do not marry that much because of houses and wealth, I assume.
In Big babies Michael Bywater discusses similar topics and notes that teen pregnancy is not something to be ashamed of anymore. Mr. Baywater seems to think it should be, so that teens would think twice or otherwise be more careful. Or get abortions.
More discussion later when I will review the book. In a week or so.
End of the internet
The Google reader took me to the End of the internet. Scary, but also somehow liberating. I think it is time to go for lunch.Elephants and elephantitis
Google is funny. When someone searches information on elephants or elephantitis, or pictures of them, Google sometimes gives an old blog of mine as one of the top-most results. All because I have there a link to a picture of elephantitis. I get some 50 to 100 hits daily because of this.Most likely there will be even more hits because of this post.
A mystery
Look at a tracked vehicle, for example a battle tank. Do the tracks move relative to the ground while on the ground? Or do they not? At least they do not slide. But the vehicle moves. I know this is not a deep question; just one that has fascinated me every time I observe such vehicles. A little mystery of my life, simple life.Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs January 2007".
Kommentit