Experiment in cold weather / Hard to keep quiet / Cold / Swicki

If you're depressed, change your focus. Quit wishing and start doing. The best way to feel hopeful about the future is to get off your ass and demonstrate to yourself that you are a capable, competent individual resolutely able to face new circumstances. James Kunstler

Experiment in cold weather

I made an experiment. I walked from office to the restaurant Juttutupa (for the monthly Tuesday meeting) and decided to try whether I can make it without gloves. It was easy, no problems at all, no freezing, all fingers completely functional. It was -19C. The walk took 46 minutes.
Tomorrow, it should be colder still, maybe -25C in the morning. I will try whether I can make it without gloves to the office (30 minutes).
I may be a bit nuts.

Hard to keep quiet

It is hard for me not to make many questions in work related information meetings. It is not that the presentations would be unclear or presented sloppily. It is just me: when I am working and in a good mood, I always find so many things to ask, to discuss, to develop on. I try hard to leave some time for the others — in Finland it is usually somewhat easy, for not many people speak their minds, or risk making stupid questions.

Cold

It is 9.20 am and the temperature outside is -18C (at most), inside +19C. I intend to walk to the office, where it is 24C, way too warm.
Almost exactly 20 years ago, in January 1987, we had a very cold week in Tampere. One day, between classes in high school, we decided to break a record. Namely, the lowest record we have drunk beer outside, without gloves and hats. It was -35C. We almost failed, for the neck of the bottle almost froze and closed. We were a bit nuts back then.
Update: it was cold indeed while I walked to the office. To my surprise, the wind was quite fierce, from north almost. It was also very slippery, for my shoes have been designed for warmer weather. Anyway, I woke up quite well.

Swicki

Still another search engine. See the top of the page. This page. Tell what you think. Should I go for CSS for the whole blog? Changing the layout means recoding my rss etc scripts, which I am not that eager to do.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs February to March 2007".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki