Fonecta: please take your books away! / Hansen on climate change / New music / Good…
A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere. Before him I may think aloud. Ralph Waldo Emerson
Some companies are advertising on the phone book cover. Maybe they would like to know, that since they are spamming my home, I will never buy anything from them any more.
The second singer was Veera Voima. She was excellent, her voice rather magical. This time she was not the main singer. I hope I will be able to hear more her singing later.
In Finland, we used to practice such self-censorship due to the Soviet Union for decades. In had some practical benefits, as we got to build some factories and towns in the Soviet Union. But it was not good for our collective psyche: dishonesty never is. And in the end, all dictatorships and other systems which do not tolerate freedom of speech will collapse. The current US government is not an exception. And even if the freedom hating administration in the USA would survive me, I would not censor myself ever. Self-censorship is for cowards, weaklings, and those who let fear guide their actions, i.e. those who are not bold and courageous.
And if the US government is both weak enough to be shaken my words and bold enough to deny my visa, it will certainly not survive me.
It is a pity that I did not have more time and energy for live music in Boston in 2005. What I saw, made me realize that there is a lot of fantastic music in the USA, most of it unknown to me, and quite much in Finland, I assume.
It is a sorry state of affairs when most of the world cannot believe anything the US government says.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs February to March 2007".
Fonecta: please take your books away!
As Lazu points out, delivering phone books to each home is irresponsible. It wastes natural resources and annoys everyone. If you thinks as I do and do not want the books, consider following Lazu's advice and send email to Fonecta. Maybe they will come and get their books.Some companies are advertising on the phone book cover. Maybe they would like to know, that since they are spamming my home, I will never buy anything from them any more.
Hansen on climate change
James Hansen, NASA's leading expert on climate change, gave a speech on climate change a few months back. We may still have time to save a livable planet for the coming generations, but we must act now, decisively and fast. Each of us individually, as countries, as nations, as members of humanity. And we need to get this topic on the agenda of each and every political debate. But how?New music
Pävi Ala-Harja and her band Kaarna gave a concert tonight in the concert hall of the Helsinki Polytechnic Stadia, previously known as the pop/jazz conservatory or something like that. The concert was good: Ala-Harja's songs were fresh, bright, lively, her voice clear, bright, and the band was professional. The songs could be adapted a bit more sparingly. This time the ease of getting many musicians from the school to the band had tempted them to put too much in some songs. The songs could be better with smaller amount of music, but one cannot know without trying. And to try is to be bold, which is always good and respectable. I have always like Ala-Harja's songs and her way of singing them, and certainly like them even more now after the concert. Let's hope she is able get them published soon.The second singer was Veera Voima. She was excellent, her voice rather magical. This time she was not the main singer. I hope I will be able to hear more her singing later.
Good pirates?
Foreign Policy reports on a good pirates, if such can exist. I this case, maybe pirating is appropriate, for the international community (UN) is not able to protect the environment. Maybe we will see more of this kind of pirating, sabotage, etc soon enough, when things heat up a little more.On self-censorship
In some comments, Mr. Richard C claims that I should be more careful in what I write. If I do not censor myself, I will not get a visa to the USA anymore, writes Mr. C.In Finland, we used to practice such self-censorship due to the Soviet Union for decades. In had some practical benefits, as we got to build some factories and towns in the Soviet Union. But it was not good for our collective psyche: dishonesty never is. And in the end, all dictatorships and other systems which do not tolerate freedom of speech will collapse. The current US government is not an exception. And even if the freedom hating administration in the USA would survive me, I would not censor myself ever. Self-censorship is for cowards, weaklings, and those who let fear guide their actions, i.e. those who are not bold and courageous.
And if the US government is both weak enough to be shaken my words and bold enough to deny my visa, it will certainly not survive me.
A new record by the Decemberists
S has bought us The Crane Wife by the Decemberists. After first listening, I think the record is maybe even better than Picaresque, which I have had since seeing the band live in Boston. A great band, do visit their pages and listen to some music.It is a pity that I did not have more time and energy for live music in Boston in 2005. What I saw, made me realize that there is a lot of fantastic music in the USA, most of it unknown to me, and quite much in Finland, I assume.
Disappearing or then not
Most media ran stories about Muqtada al-Sadr's disappearance, as announced by the US government. It is said that al-Sadr has feld Iraq for Iran. Like he was a sissy, afraid of US bombing, or surge. However, Juan Cole wrote a lenghty argument on this. Mr. Cole claims that it is not in al-Sadr character to run and hide, or not to Iran anyway.It is a sorry state of affairs when most of the world cannot believe anything the US government says.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs February to March 2007".
Kommentit