M.A Numminen / War with Iran / Car and CO2 in the EU / Energy future of the EU /…
Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained. Marie Curie
One of the weirdest concerts I have been to ever.
It seems that the analysts somewhat agree on this issue. Let's see whether they are writing in vain. Let's hope so. If I had a car, I would keep its tank full of gas, just in case. Since I do not, I will just buy a new pair of walking shoes so that I can walk wherever I need to go (to the office, to the bar, to the bookstore, the railway station).
And nowhere close enough. Just setting one limit is stupid. There should be a decreasing limit, yearly. First 130 g/km, then 125 g/km, then 120 g/km, for new cars, until the amount would similar to trains (with a car with 2 passengers). Anyway, there will not be enough oil left for passenger (private) cars soon enough.
See also Inforse, which claims to be
Really, even if climate was not getting any warmer, we in the EU are between the rock and the hard place. We have next to no energy sources of our own. Outside sources have peaked. If we do not increase efficiency (in appliances, in city planning, in agriculture, etc) and invest a lot in wind/sun/wave energy, the lights will go out, and our mobility will stall.
Yep, I am getting back to my old, ranting, energetic self. Great. My internal energy is renewable!
Yep, I am able to walk for 30 minutes in -22C without gloves. I assume I could well be able to make the walk even in -25C, but I am not willing to try. It is not that important to find the exact limits of my cold tolerance. It is not that pleasant, either.
Finland has never used as much electricity as today. Nothing to celebrate, everything to be ashamed of. I wonder why we cannot decide a (declining) maximum electricity generation capacity and then live by it. When it is cold and those living in poorly designed suburban and rural houses need electricity for keeping warm, we would shut down street lighting, sports facilities, outside advertisements, etc. I just cannot understand why electricity much be the only good, for which unlimited supply (at cheap cost) is mandatory.
Trade minister of Finland, Mr. Pekkarinen, says that the EU cannot cut its CO2 emissions, for doing so would endanger EU's ability to compete with others. I cannot see it like that. We all know that climate change is a problem and at some point we, creatures of the Earth, will agree on draconian emission caps. We all know, in Europe, that we are dependent on imported energy, and that oil production has peaked. We know, if we think for a minute, that in such a situation, trying to make do with less energy, is both necessary and wise. If EU would decide to cut down its energy consumption by 3% annually, and mandate it, EU would become more able to compete with others, for after all, both USA and China have the same problems. And with Russia we cannot compete, we must be subservient, as those importing critical stuff always are. You do not bite the warming and feeding hand, at least not too often, even if it belongs to Mr. Putin, or Mr. Stalin's next incarnation.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs February to March 2007".
M.A Numminen
M.A Numminen and his band (for the occasion) performed songs he has written for Heinrich Heine poems. Quite peculiar. Mr. Numminen also refused to speak Finnish, for the most part of the concert. He spoke funny German. The band has a DJ, a string quartet, vibraphonist, and pianist, and even a female singer, who voice was present. She was not. The songs were compose in Schubertian manner, although they reminded me most of the Residents.One of the weirdest concerts I have been to ever.
War with Iran
The clock is ticking. Some more speculation has surfaced in the web.It seems that the analysts somewhat agree on this issue. Let's see whether they are writing in vain. Let's hope so. If I had a car, I would keep its tank full of gas, just in case. Since I do not, I will just buy a new pair of walking shoes so that I can walk wherever I need to go (to the office, to the bar, to the bookstore, the railway station).
Car and CO2 in the EU
No agreement, but limits anyhow: Car industry to be forced to cut emissions by the Guardian. Or reported by the Guardian.And nowhere close enough. Just setting one limit is stupid. There should be a decreasing limit, yearly. First 130 g/km, then 125 g/km, then 120 g/km, for new cars, until the amount would similar to trains (with a car with 2 passengers). Anyway, there will not be enough oil left for passenger (private) cars soon enough.
Energy future of the EU
New initiatives appear almost daily. Today, energy future dialogue. Worth spending a minute or two.See also Inforse, which claims to be
INFORSE-Europe is a network of 70 NGOs that are working for sustainable energy solutions to protect the environment and reduce poverty.
Really, even if climate was not getting any warmer, we in the EU are between the rock and the hard place. We have next to no energy sources of our own. Outside sources have peaked. If we do not increase efficiency (in appliances, in city planning, in agriculture, etc) and invest a lot in wind/sun/wave energy, the lights will go out, and our mobility will stall.
Yep, I am getting back to my old, ranting, energetic self. Great. My internal energy is renewable!
Results
Yep, I am able to walk for 30 minutes in -22C without gloves. I assume I could well be able to make the walk even in -25C, but I am not willing to try. It is not that important to find the exact limits of my cold tolerance. It is not that pleasant, either. Weather, policy, rant
Oh, I am so fascinated by this winter. So peculiar: warm January, heavy rain last Friday, now -20C. Not boring, just invigorating.Finland has never used as much electricity as today. Nothing to celebrate, everything to be ashamed of. I wonder why we cannot decide a (declining) maximum electricity generation capacity and then live by it. When it is cold and those living in poorly designed suburban and rural houses need electricity for keeping warm, we would shut down street lighting, sports facilities, outside advertisements, etc. I just cannot understand why electricity much be the only good, for which unlimited supply (at cheap cost) is mandatory.
Trade minister of Finland, Mr. Pekkarinen, says that the EU cannot cut its CO2 emissions, for doing so would endanger EU's ability to compete with others. I cannot see it like that. We all know that climate change is a problem and at some point we, creatures of the Earth, will agree on draconian emission caps. We all know, in Europe, that we are dependent on imported energy, and that oil production has peaked. We know, if we think for a minute, that in such a situation, trying to make do with less energy, is both necessary and wise. If EU would decide to cut down its energy consumption by 3% annually, and mandate it, EU would become more able to compete with others, for after all, both USA and China have the same problems. And with Russia we cannot compete, we must be subservient, as those importing critical stuff always are. You do not bite the warming and feeding hand, at least not too often, even if it belongs to Mr. Putin, or Mr. Stalin's next incarnation.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs February to March 2007".
Kommentit