Some links / Weekend / New spirit of capitalism

In war there is no substitute for victory. Douglas MacArthur

Some links



Please, consider also donating some money to the Antiwar.com. They may have rather libertarian views on some issues, but their work is of huge importance.

Weekend

A long weekend, or at least long time no sitting at my desk at the office. Some supplier meetings have kept me busy lately, even in the evenings when I have had dinner with suppliers, at their expense. Well, nothing more to tell about it in public.
On Friday, after work, we had the monthly (or so) SIG with Aaro, Kipa, Lemmy, Lavonardo, Teppo and as guest stars Pekka, Risto and S. We spent the evening in the restaurant or bar Pullman at the Helsinki railway station. The bar has rather exceptional selection of beer and cigars, both of which I sampled to my pleasure. The pleasure of Saturday morning was of different kind, of lazy waiting and reading and idling. And it lasted the whole Saturday, I did not step outside our apartment for a second.
On Sunday, a perfect day for a lazy walk on the ice: -5C, thin clouds, no wind. We walked from Hietaniemi to Seurasaari and had coffee at cafe Tomtebo, a romantic place by the sea. Later, relatives of S came over for dinner.
On Monday, meetings and then a nice dinner at restaurant Mecca. The food was good, but I did not regret that I ate another dinner at home before leaving for the restaurant. Wines were excellent, for all I understand of wine.

New spirit of capitalism

I went to listen to a public lecture by Jan Otto Andersson. The lecture was about neo-liberalism, its history etc. Mr. Andersson told about a book by Boltanski et Chiapellocalled The New Spirit of Capitalism. He summarized the new spirit as projects, networks, adaptability, innovativeness, etc. The new spirit is opposed to the older one from 1960s and earlier, which held professions as worthy things.
I would like to read the book. It is a bit expensive, so I may have to be happy with a review by the New left review.
Yes, I have adopted the new spirit well. Maybe way too well. I have called it the mercenary attitude so far. Now I know it is about the news spirit of capitalism.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs February to March 2007".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki