Some links / A new book store / Whole life on a hard drive / Whatever happened / Windmills
Dedicate yourself to the good you deserve and desire for yourself. Give yourself peace of mind. You deserve to be happy. You deserve delight. Hannah Arendt
I think these guys are what the most vulgar analytical philosophers used to be. Clever guys with no glue of life in general. Yes, it is possible to record one's surroundings, one's speech acts, etc. But I find it hard to believe that they can record all their thoughts, their feelings, their intuitions: things that make life worth living. Life is not just a stream of external sounds and figures, it is something more.
I think someone write these researchers some feedback. I may have to do it myself, maybe with some help from S, since this topic is very close to her dissertation work.
On Thursday, our bi-monthly sauna party with ex-colleagues from Nokia. First to the Kotiharjun Sauna, then to Zetor for some rather good Finnish food. I think it is a pity that it is not that customary to visit the communal saunas anymore. Having sauna at one's home makes life too private, for primates.
And then the weekend. See below.
S left for Paris on Friday, will come back tomorrow. I have spent tonight and yesterday night and evenings as well at home, reading. What else can I do, being such an cultural and non-practical person.
It appears, that producing all electricity in Finland by wind would be possible. And it does appear that there is a huge business potential in windmills and related infrastructure.
It also appears, that there are quite a few freaks, who are building their own windmills in Finland. I met some of them, listened to their discussions on relative merits of different types of overload management and generators. Then I got enough, even I am not enough of an engineer for such discussions.
Lapua itself is a small town, or maybe just a large village in the middle of large plains. Nothing to see there, no old buildings. There are many emptry shops, though. It seems that economic activity is not that vibrant over there.
So, I first took a train to Tampere, spend a night at my mother's place (my childhood home), had a few drinks with Make, then took another train to Lapua, spent Saturday there and decided to take the first train to Helsinki on Sunday. Enough with the freaks. The first train left Lapua at 8.17 and arrived in Helsinki at 11.27. Fast enough.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs February to March 2007".
Some links
Some interesting place I have been to lately.- The 10 most dangerous species of IT manager — applies to other managers as well.
- Talking philosophy — a philosophical blog, worth following every now and then. Not that technical.
- Supermarkets and Service Stations Now Competing for Grain — it will be interesting to see whether movement of cars will be more valuable than lives of citizens. When will we have the first famine, in the West, due to feeding our food to cars? Maybe in the next 10 years, unless we change our transportation systems: on rails, running on windmill generated electricity.
- IT for Financial Services — course notes by Paul Tallon, pointers to interesting articles and slides as well.
- Recommended Books on IT Business Value — I wish I had the time to read at least every fifth of them
- Detailed Roadmap of the 21st Century — a collection of predictions. Very interesting colllection.
- Pekka Sauri yölinjalla — is this so called humour?
- How to communicate efficiently — a simple guideline.
- A Free Lunch - Blogging about ideas, creativity and business life in general — by a work mate of mine. Some ideas worth wondering.
- Energy Policy for Europe (EPE) 2007 — sustainabity is hip, pop, and necessary.
- Dialogue platform "Energy Future 2030" — a way to participate in the discussion.
- ECO-design for energy efficiency - Framework Directive under Negotiation — more sustainability.
- The Henry Rollins show — sometimes I wish I had a TV. Some episode are free in the new! Rollins rules!
A new book store
Bookdeposity.co.uk is a new book store in the web. They try to keep larger selection in print than Amazon. In addition, their prices are lower, they deliver faster, and sometimes delivery is free. Highly recommended! They have delivered some books to me during the last week and I am very much satisfied with their service and speed.Whole life on a hard drive
Two researchers at Microsoft are dreaming about storing whole human life on hard drives. They even have done some experiments: storing all kinds of things of their own life for a while now: emails, figures, sounds, etc.I think these guys are what the most vulgar analytical philosophers used to be. Clever guys with no glue of life in general. Yes, it is possible to record one's surroundings, one's speech acts, etc. But I find it hard to believe that they can record all their thoughts, their feelings, their intuitions: things that make life worth living. Life is not just a stream of external sounds and figures, it is something more.
I think someone write these researchers some feedback. I may have to do it myself, maybe with some help from S, since this topic is very close to her dissertation work.
Whatever happened
Quite a lot happened last week. On Wednesday, we visited S's sister for a birthday of Lauri: come excellent cake in good company. The children were quite nice to me, for their mother has told them not to play too much with me. Usually, they do.On Thursday, our bi-monthly sauna party with ex-colleagues from Nokia. First to the Kotiharjun Sauna, then to Zetor for some rather good Finnish food. I think it is a pity that it is not that customary to visit the communal saunas anymore. Having sauna at one's home makes life too private, for primates.
And then the weekend. See below.
S left for Paris on Friday, will come back tomorrow. I have spent tonight and yesterday night and evenings as well at home, reading. What else can I do, being such an cultural and non-practical person.
Windmills
I travelled all the way to Lapua just to hear the latest news on windmills. The news are good: prices are coming down, production is ramping up, and even the Finnish politician are about to wake up. New laws are about to be ratified and they will make it easier for small scale electricity producers to connect to the grid.It appears, that producing all electricity in Finland by wind would be possible. And it does appear that there is a huge business potential in windmills and related infrastructure.
It also appears, that there are quite a few freaks, who are building their own windmills in Finland. I met some of them, listened to their discussions on relative merits of different types of overload management and generators. Then I got enough, even I am not enough of an engineer for such discussions.
Lapua itself is a small town, or maybe just a large village in the middle of large plains. Nothing to see there, no old buildings. There are many emptry shops, though. It seems that economic activity is not that vibrant over there.
So, I first took a train to Tampere, spend a night at my mother's place (my childhood home), had a few drinks with Make, then took another train to Lapua, spent Saturday there and decided to take the first train to Helsinki on Sunday. Enough with the freaks. The first train left Lapua at 8.17 and arrived in Helsinki at 11.27. Fast enough.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs February to March 2007".
Kommentit