Some new links / Some new books / Weekend recap / Out of touch
Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be. Kurt Vonnegut
Eichmann in Jerusalem — a report on the banality of evil by Hannah Arendt is a book everyone should have read. I have not, but soon will be, I hope. The books is a report on the trial of Mr. Eichmann.
The exhibition was a good one. Some very interesting works of art, some really good. I almost bought one painting by Heli Änkö, but then I remembered that buying art under influence of the opening ceremonies of an exhibition and alcohol is not a good idea. So, if I buy the painting, it will not happen this week.
See my list of cultural events.
Later, I had nice dinner with Tuula and S. See my list of restaurants.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs February to March 2007".
Some new links
- Some great new chemical boost intelligence, remove sleep and have no side-effects. Or so they say. I would order some, if I just new how.
- A more efficient airliner or a concept of one. I wonder whether it would be stable enough. Earlier designs for flying wings have not been.
- Donkeys as pets even in Finland. How disturbed can we become?
- J Kunstler on his favourite topics — maybe it is time for the market to crash.
- DXing the Finnish Way
Some new books
A man without a country by Kurt Vonnegut arrived today. He promised not to write another book some 10 years ago. Then Mr. Bush stole the elections, destroyed Iraq and his own country. All of this made Mr. Vonnegut angry enough to write still one book. Not a thick one, though.Eichmann in Jerusalem — a report on the banality of evil by Hannah Arendt is a book everyone should have read. I have not, but soon will be, I hope. The books is a report on the trial of Mr. Eichmann.
Weekend recap
On Friday, Olli and Maritta came over for dinner. Always nice to have them over. On Saturday, we drove to S's uncle's place in the country, some 140 km from Helsinki. I rented a Ford Mondeo for the trip. It is surprisingly cheap to rent a car for three people. Taking a train and a bus would cost nearly twice as much, but would be more energy efficient. Thus, we can say that the cost of energy is way too low at the moment and trains too expensive. On Sunday, we took party in an election rally of the farmers' party. They could not convince me, I will not vote the farmers' party. Later, S's mother invited us for dinner: superb burbot soup. It is the burbot season.Thrusday 07-03-01
There's a need for accepting responsibility - for a person's life and making choices that are not just ones for immediate short-term comfort. You need to make an investment, and the investment is in health and education. Buzz AldrinOut of touch
I am losing my touch, I am so out of date, so not hip. I went to an art exhibition in Forum Box today. I thought that it is a new place, but it opened already in 1999. What have I been doing for the last 7 or more years? At least I have not been following the Finnish art world.The exhibition was a good one. Some very interesting works of art, some really good. I almost bought one painting by Heli Änkö, but then I remembered that buying art under influence of the opening ceremonies of an exhibition and alcohol is not a good idea. So, if I buy the painting, it will not happen this week.
See my list of cultural events.
Later, I had nice dinner with Tuula and S. See my list of restaurants.
February 2007
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs February to March 2007".
Kommentit