Good morning from Maubeuge

20.5.2022, perjantai · Maubeuge → Le Cateau-Cambrésis

Good morning from Maubeuge! Right now the skies are clear. In a few hours, heavy rain beings. Or at so says the usually reliable Norwegian weather forecast Yr.no.

I could stay out here in Maubeuge but then again I am not made of sugar. Rain is part of cycling, and of life. Sometimes it is just necessary to ride in the rain. Maybe singing in the rain while cycling.

Rain, or meeting challenges bravely, makes lasting memories, things to reminisce later back home. I remember a long day of cycling from Krakow south to lake Orava back in June 1990. Some170 km. And we pitched our tent in front of a large apartment block as there was no camping. This was with @k_ranto.

I also remember riding to Kufstein in torrential rain with @pedalling_philosopher in July 2010. We rode up the river Inn and we were really worried that it will burst its dikes. Luckily it did not and we made it to Kufstein just in time to get the last hotel room of the whole town.

So, I am not going to avoid the rain today. Let’s see what I will remember in 10 years. 81km to Saint- Quentin.

Katso kuva Instagramissa

Let’s see whether the severe weather arrives. I rode tempo to Le Cateau Cambrésis, through a large forest area. Nice rolling terrain. I did not see any cyclists today.

Anyway, one must not ride bicycles in a thunderstorm. Not when it is at all avoidable.

Maybe 2 hours a bit faster riding makes me fitter? Who knows. It was great fun and proved that my bike is as fast as I am. The road surfaces were quite poor, broken asphalt and gravel. 25.4km/h for 10km is surprisingly fast for me.

Paris is 220km from here, so I will easily make it there by Sunday afternoon as I have planned.

Now some extra rest and good food!

Katso kuva Instagramissa

Oman hotellin ravintolassa illallistamisessa on jotain viehättävän vanhanaikaista. Kätevää se on myös: ei tarvitse aterian jälkeen tallustella kaduilla. Matkan aikana olen syönyt illallista 5 kertaa hotellini ravintolassa ja 4 kertaa muualla.

Tänään söin (kuvat käänteisessä järjestyksessä) taimenta ja parsaa, etanoita taikinakuoressa purjon ja herkkusienien ja tomaatin kanssa. Juomaksi paikallisen panimon vaaleaa olutta. Hinnaksi taisi tulla 30€.

Ruoka oli erinomaista, erityisesi etanat aivan taivaallisia. Kalan alla parsat olivat vähän pääseet pehmeiksi, mutta makua se ei pilannut.

Koko illallisen ajan minusta tuntui, että aivan pian Hercule Poirot seurueineen saapuu illalliselle ratkaisemaan rikosta.

Katso kuva Instagramissa

My hotel, city hall, church, brewery and other buildings of Le Cateau-Cabrésis.

Katso kuva Instagramissa

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Elämäni baarit

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki

Byträskin järvi ja pähkinäpensaslehto

Päätin elää vielä 20 vuotta / Marco Kosonen

Omituisia hahmoja

Montako katua Helsingissä on?

Hyvästi Facebook!