Kuudes ajopäivä, määränpäänä Bryssel
18.5.2022, keskiviikko · Baarle-Nassau → Bryssel
Kuudes ajopäivä määränpäänä Brysseli. Matkaa kertyy noin 90km, aikaa kulunee tasaisessa maastossa ja tyvenessä säässä nelisen tuntia. Tapaan illalla ystäviäni, joten kiirettä ei ole. Syön rauhassa aamiaiseni, pakkaan ja levitän aurinkorasvaa valolla alttiille ihoaluille.
Vinkki: jos aurinkorasvaa levittää karvaisiin sääriin, hiekka tarttuu karvoihin jääneeseen rasvaan. Tämän voi vältttää antamalla rasvan imeytyä ihoon 10 minuutin ajan ja pyyhkimällä pyyhkeellä rasvan karvoista pois. Hotellin pyyhkeet menevät joka tapuksessa pesuun käytön jälkeen.
Siirryn tänään Belgiaan. Hollantilaiset ystäväni muistavat aina varoittaa Belgian huonoista pyöräteistä ja hulluista autoilijoista. Kartan mukaan pyöräteitä toki on. Kohta selviää ovatko ne todella olemassa.
Ranskan ja niin sanotun Manner-Europaan läheisyys alkaa ilmetä. Aamiaisella ei ole hedelmiä, myslit ovat pienissä paketeissa. Aamiainen koostuu leivästä, leikkeistä, kahvista ja mehusta.
Ai niin, kyyhkyset kujersivat kotoisasti, kun heräsin ja otin korvatulpat korvistani. Nukuin vilkkaan kadun varrella ikkuna auki, pyykit ikkunan edessä kuivumassa. Melu oli aika kova.
Hauskaa päivää itse kullekin. Pankaas kommetoiden, on aina ihana lukea ajatuksianne!
2400km Lissaboniin, 1900km Santiago de Compostelaan. Minimi polkaisu ajopäivä siis noin 90km, kaikkien päivien kesken jaettuna 75km. Ei liikaa lainkaan.
Katso kuva Instagramissa
Katso video Instagramissa
I was waiting for a bridge to open. A man cycles by and stops. He said: “I saw the shell. Are you riding to Santiago de Compostela? I walked there 15 years ago and cycled 2 years ago. Not a day goes by without thinking about those trips. You will have fun, but it will be a bit lonely. Do not worry, though, because when people see the shell, they will help you and want to chat with you. Especially in France and Spain. Have a nice trip!”
The Camino shell works miracles! So lucky Jubbe gave ti to me.
Katso kuva Instagramissa
Kids are curious. Pity that my language skills are limited.
Katso video Instagramissa
My sixth cycling day took me to Brussels, the capital of Europe. I went to meet my friends Satu and Klaus, the NATO ambassador (the boss of the Finnish Nato mission). Earlier today Klaus handed the Finnish application to the NATO general secretary. It was both a privilege and extremely interesting to exchange some thoughts with Klaus. And certainly not less to catch up with Satu after the pandemic, of old friends, future and life in general. Their cook had prepared superb vegetarian dinner.
Today was the hottest day (Garmin said over 30c) so far. I took it very easy. Only 92km with recovery speed. Later 9km more, so over 100km also today.
Really beautiful channel and river environments today, also some superb parks in Brussels. But then also tens of kilometers narrow bike paths along highways, totally confusing traffic arrangements. Many times I had to stop and observe how locals solve the traffic puzzles and then imitate them.
Brussels has some steep hills, proper ascents. Clearly I need some exercise before real mountains in Spain.
Now I would need to decide where I am going to ride tomorrow. The weather forecast says that there will be rain a very charming old mansion would be 134km from here. Maybe I decide in the morning.
693km/3300km or over 20%!!
Katso kuva Instagramissa
Meeting with my friend Satu Sundström and her husband , the Finnish Nato ambassador Klaus Korhonen.
It so happened that he had just today handed the Finnish application to the NATO Secretary General. We had a short and interesting discussion before his duties called.
Pic by Satu whom I thank for lovely discussions and delicious dinner. Such a pleasure to meet after the long pandemic. And of course for inviting me over.
Katso kuva Instagramissa
Kommentit