Ponferradan muurit ja kellotorni
12.6.2022, sunnuntai · Ponferrada
Ponferradaa ympäröivät ennen muurit, jotka vähitellen kävivät turhiksi, rapistuvat ja purettiin. Jäljelle on jäänyt kuvassa näkyvä kellotorni ja sen vieressä oleva talo, jossa on nykyisin italialainen ravintola. Kello ilmoittaa aamulla kello kahdeksasta alkaen tasatunnein ajan. Ravintola on erinomainen. Söin siellä risotto marinaraa ensimmäinen iltanani täällä.
Kaupunki on erikoinen siinä mielessä, että vaikka vanha kaupunki on säästynyt, se ei pikaisesti katsomalla vaikuta kovin vanhalta. Vanhimmat rakennukset linnaa lukuunottamatta lienevät ajan saatossa kadonneet tai remontoidut uuteen asuun. Kellotornin takana (kuvan suunnassa) on linnan jälkeen kaupungin toiseksi vanhin rakennus, jossa on kaunis kivinen julkisivu. Senkään ikää ei heti arvaisi - kiviseinä kun ei ole teknologiana ulkonäöltään juuri muuttunut vuosisatojen saatossa.
Tänään tutustun temppeliritarien linnaan. Se on ilmeisesti 1200-luvulta ja säilynyt hyvin. Otan kuvia ja laadin niistä erillisen kirjoitelman.
Muutoin lepään, tarkistan matkatavarani, pakkaan ja suunnittelen reitin täältä Becerreaan. Olen näet todennut, että virallisen Camino-reitin kulkeminen Ponferradasta eteenpäin on liian vaikeaa retkifillarilla. Reitti kulkee vuoren yli, on sorapintainen ja sekä ylöspäin että alaspäin 15% jyrkkyydeltään. Juttelin amerikkalaisen kävelyvaeltajan kanssa. Hänen mukaansa sorareitti Leonista Ponferradaan oli liki kävelykelvoton: irtohiekkaa, isoja kiviä etc. En halua sellaiselle fillarilla, olen muutamia 17% soramäkiä jo pyöräillyt. Ne ovat todella ikäviä ja jopa jonkin verran vaarallisia.
Reittini jatkuu siis Becerreaan (72km), sieltä Meliden (90km) ja Santiagoon (56km). Luultavasti en jää yöksi Santiagoon vaan jatkan 40km etelään kohti Portugalia. Sinnehän minä olen ollut koko ajan menossa.
Hyvää sunnuntaita!
Katso kuva Instagramissa
The famous Castle of Ponferrada, build originally by the Temple Knights in the 12th and 13th centuries. The purpose was to protect pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostela. Later the castle fell into disrepair, then was taken in some use again in the 16th century, and finally it has been repaired and restored since 1924.
The Temple Knights were a group of soldiers established to protect pilgrims between Jaffa and Jerusalem during crusades. There were some 25000 knights and many more supporting personnel. They set up a rudimentary banking system so that pilgrims did not have to carry money thus reducing the risk of robberies.
After the crusades went out of fashion in the 14th century, the Temple Knights were too strong and threatened political order. Thus the organization was disbanded and its leaders executed. Only legends and some castes remain.
(The above written based on what I remember after some reading on this topic. I have not done any fact checking)
Katso kuva Instagramissa
Hello! It is Freddie here in Ponferrada. You haven’t seen me much lately. There are reasons but I will not want to talk about them.
Instead, I want to talk about the beautiful lady pilgrim who saw me and told me that I am lovely and the best pilgrimage companion. She was really clever and exactly right. Yes, and also the receptionist said she likes me. A lot.
Tomorrow we shall once again climb over a small mountain by bicycle. My rider, the one with red beard, is so scared of downhill cycling. I try my best to convince him that everything will be fine and alright. But I need some help as my strength and powers of consolation are limited even though huge! Can you help me? It is just 72km and not a large hill. My rider has completed much more demanding rides during the last month.
Anyway, have a good one. And have ice cream!
Katso kuva Instagramissa
What are these bikes? I saw them parked near my hotel and went to take a closer look. And what did I find? Electric recumbent bicycles with solar panel roofs, with trailers. In both trailers two dogs! And when I took a closer look, I noticed a cat! Oh my!
These bikes belong to some special cyclists, I thought, I must meet them. And then I spotted them eating kebabs.
The cyclists are Maud and Vim, from France and Belgium. They are on their way to Santiago, 40-60 km per day. They said that on sunny days, solar panels are quite enough for keeping their batteries charged.
And that they sleep outdoors, wild. Pilgrims used to wake them up early when they camped by the Camino. I do not blame pilgrims: seeing bikes like these must be a godsend during the boring/repetitive daily walks.
Nice meeting. Interesting people one meets when one leaves home.
Katso kuva Instagramissa
Kommentit