S pointed out, that I did after all learn a lot from DC2
S pointed out, that I did after all learn a lot from DC2. I may have not learned so much about technical system architecting, but I got a good lesson on the human/social/belief system related concerns. So, I take back some of my complaints that the whole DC2 was waste of time. I was looking it from different/wrong way. Anyway: "before flight it is an opinion, after flight it is a fact" and "first quick analysis are always wrong" and "prepare to throw one away, you will anyway.", as Rechtin writes.
It is snowing again. This time it is going to be bad enough for MIT to get scared and close itself down. Which means that our real, graded classes were cancelled. So, we did not have time to present our pioneering results in managing technical professionals etc. This is unfortunate enough, but hearing that our dinner/cohort-building in the New Englan Aquarium got cancelled too, was enough to drive us to a pub later today. Well, we have to pay ourselves, but the results will be more or less the same.
We had some discussion with SMD04-students about getting jobs after this. It seems to take a lot of effort, and even with lot of effort, it will be rather hard thing to do. But it may of course be, that difficulty is due to too high expectations. Of course, getting a CTO-position is not the easiest thing to do. But for me, things should be easy. I just want to do system architecting is some firm/company, which gives me decent salary (say, anything over 70000 euros per year), and which gives extremely lot of freedom how to do my job, when to do, and how much holiday I want to take. Working 10 hours a day, 11.5 months a year, is not the life I want to lead. Unless the work itself is extremely interesting, fun, and somehow makes the world a better place. Let's see. If everything else fails, I will just establish my own system architecture consulting company. Or then I will start working as travel writer, which would certainly be fun.
I also updated my course selections in my MIT-pages. I try to take as many courses as humanly possible in the spring, so that I would have lots of time for my thesis in the summer and fall. And after paying all the money to MIT, I think it just makes sense to make the most out of my time here.
In the evening, I went with my class mates to a bar in Central Square for a couple or a few or many beers. It was nice: I feel really priveledged to be here in MIT with these people and this faculty. It is so nice to be when the others are smart, smarter than me, and one does not have to explain anything several times. And being in the "epicenter of technoloy research", as Dave put it, is just fantastic. Yes, it is hard work, but I think to complain would be just inappropriate. This is really worth every cent and every intellectual effort this may require.
I am too happy/in too joyful mood to write anything much about the daily affairs. But I did notice, that UK is drifting away from the normal European justice. They still have laws, under which one can be arrested forever without any charge. This is really worrisome, and I hope EU somehow intervenes. If we give up our basic principles, the terrorist have won. It is as simple as that. Basicly, if we step down the road to unlawful arrests, we follow the footsteps of Lenin, Stalin, Mao, and, well, umh. Anyway, no country in Europe should do it. See the leader of Guardian for more arguments.
Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs January 2005".
Kommentit