Is it safer to be owerweight than not? / Do animals play? / Phenology / Homeless / HIV…

Read Riverbend writing on the imaginary kidnappings. But who is broadcasting lies and why? I am perplexed.

Is it safer to be owerweight than not?

A new study suggests that 'Overweight' appears to be optimal in mortality study. This is a rather interesting result, and if true, might increase the quality of life od many not-that-thin of us. It seems that fitness is more important than fatness - which means that I will continue walking, and eating much, but healthy food.

Do animals play?

Yesterday, I was watching a curios game. A dog was chasing a pair of Canadian geese in the Sturrow bay. The dog barked, the geese honked. When the dogs got within two meters of the geese, the geese simply flew 5 meters, and the game continued. The question is: were the geese playing with the dog, or just saving their energy (flying is harder than swimming). The game ended after 5 minutes, when the dog apparently got bored or tired. The geese came out of water and started to graze.

Phenology

Spring is a good time for doing some phenology. I have seen so many blooming trees. Today, I saw the first blooming maples, and also cherries. Fine. Any other sightings? I have also seen several different birds, but I am no expert in them, so I cannot tell which one have just arrived. But there are surprisingly few birds in Back Bay. I have not seen seagulls, crows, or magpies. Should I have?

Homeless

A flowerThere are many homeless people in the Sturrow park. I saw them sleeping in the morning, and staring with empty eyes in the evening. It makes me sad. I assume, that the richest country in the world could take care of its citizens, but for some reason it does not. Is that what Christianity, which is so popular in the government and during elections, really teaches? Leaving the unfortunate on their own, and just looking the other way. Or, is the current Christianity just an excuse for something, a nice and safe facade behind which one can do all the bad, selfish, and nasty things one wants? I was brought up in a Christian society, and even though I have been agnostic since I was very young (or not quite, since I was atheist when I was younger), I still think that the society should take care of all of its members, and by society I mean everyone living in a country, or even more, in the world.

HIV in India

It seems that HIV is 'out of control' in India. India has the largest population of HIV-positive man, woman, and children in the world, and epidemic is just getting worse. The situations is really frightening, since if the situation gets as bad as it is in southern Africa (in terms of percentage of HIV-positive persons in the whole population), the consequences would be just devastating, and would undo any progress there has been so far in the last decades. And, even though it has not been in the news lately, the HIV-epidemic in China is not getting any smaller either. Add to this the already existing shortage of labor in China, and you start to see everything in a different light.

Daily crono

Sunset in BostonLife starts to have other fun things than just intellectual joy. I took a walk in by the river both in morning and in the evening. It is really refreshing. On the academic side, I read some 50 pages for tomorrow's Apollo-class, went to the extra recitation of decision analysis. It was quite devoid of any new information. In the afternoon, I lapsed into procrastination before starting to read for tomorrow's quiz. But I could not force myself into reading too much, partly because the concepts are quite simple and I know them already, and partly because the quiz may have question for which any amount of reading or preparation is not enough. One either gets them or then not. Last time I did not get them.

Good things in USA, part 6

54. Chocolate milkshakes in Joe's diner in Greenwich village, NYC. 55. Chipmunks. 56. Iggy Pop. 57. Google. 58. Amazon. 59. Flatiron building, NYC. 60. The Italian restaurant under the Brooklyn bridge. 61. Pahoa, the last real hippie resort, Big Island, Hawaii. 62. The volcanos in Big Island. 63. The Kona Tiki Hotel. 64. The various art/breakdance/music-groups in the NYC metro.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs April 2005".

Kommentit

Vuoden suosituimmat

Kaikki Helsingin kadut, aukiot etc

TOP-5 lyhyttä pyöräretkeä Roihuvuoresta ja Itä-Helsingistä

Tapiolan varjoissa - Robert Ramberg

Elämäni baarit

Karl Ahon matka Stalinin punaiseen helvettiin / Sven Pahajoki