Elections / Week and its end / New books / Read books / Shutdown day — next Saturday

Find a subject to think about, stare at an object until a hole is almost bored through it, and find out its essential nature. Taiichi Ohno

Elections

So, the parliamentary elections are over now. The leftist parties lost some seats to the rightist parties. Not enough to really change anything. It will be very interesting to see, what kind of plan the new government will put together to cut down Finland's excessive CO2-emissions. After all, we committed to some insufficient, but still hard to implement (at least politically) cuts.
I am very close to getting involved by writing a book on politics with the topic "Can Finland afford to be wealthy". Let us see how much energy I can muster in the next few weeks.

Week and its end

On Wednesday, S returned from Paris. Nice for the house is too quiet without her; I cannot sleep. It is strange that I sleep well alone in hotels but at home I do not. On Thursday, nothing but work (e.g. visiting the parcel sorting center in the countryside by the airport - a nice large machine and automated warehouses, a worthy trip). On Friday, we had four philosophers dining in our kitchen. It went well, everyone had own cutlery and no deadlocks appeared. Only later in the night, some philosophers took their Plato imitation a bit too far, which yielded some mighty headache to a certain philosopher without a PhD. Thus on Saturday, just idling at home and then a trip to a local pinball hall. 96 million in the Pirates of Caribbean was not a bad score for a tired philosopher. On Sunday, elections, tram trips, reading two books, etc.

New books

Two new books by Gerald DeGroot arrived at my desk today:
  • Dark side of the Moon — the magnificent madness of the American Lunar Quest
  • The Bomb — a life
Two books of my some of my most favourite topics, in one day. Now I just have to find the time to read them. I may have to cut down my diet of thin Finnish novels and also cut down time I spend on the net.

Read books

I have read 37 books this year. That makes it about 180 books a year, if I do not slow down. My goal is just 100, so I can pick up more complicated and thicker books.

Shutdown day — next Saturday

Next Saturday, the 24th of March, will be the shutdown day. It will require some almost superhuman strength of the mind not to use computer for one whole day. Maybe I can read a couple of books instead, or maybe I could start writing with pencil and paper again.

Alun perin julkaistu kuukausikoosteessa "Blogs February to March 2007".

Kommentit

Kuukauden suosituimmat

Hyvästi Facebook!

Päivien lumo / Karin Pennanen

Rokotuksista

Everestin tiikeri / Tenzing & Ullman

Maailman kauhea vihreys / Benjamin Labatut